Is Debian 9 supposed to work on a Geode?

Hello!

I have a small server with a Geode processor – Geode LX 500 MHz
according to the BIOS boot screen – which I needed to upgrade from
Debian 8 to Debian 9. I know that Debian has dropped support for i586,
but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to how that affects
Geodes. What little I could find on the Web seemed to suggest that
Geodes are mostly like i686, which is supposed to still be supported by
Debian 9, so I decided to try it, took a backup, and took the plunge.

It turns out that the kernel from Debian 9 won't boot. Both Linux
4.9.0-8-686 and 4.9.0-9-686 appear to hang early in the boot process.
Everything else seems to work, so right now I'm running Debian 9 on
Linux 3.16.0-8-586 from Debian 8. This works for now, but it's
obviously not a long-term solution.

So my question is: Is the Geode LX among the dropped processors, or is
the hang a bug that should be fixed?

Björn Persson