Re: Attempting a VERY minimal install (using --no-install-recommends ;)

On Wed 24 Apr 2019 at 12:36:29 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I'm attempting a very minimal install because:
> 1. small size in and of itself is a good goal

Not at all. There has to be an objective, a goal. For example, a thin
client with only 1Gb of space which is intended to perform a particular
set of tasks. A small installation is, of itself, of little importance.

> 2. fending for oneself is a valuable educational experience compared
>    to having everything handed to you on a "golden platter" {Debian's
>    default installer}

You can only fend for yourself within the constaints imposed by the
installer packaging system. You seem to think the standard system
utilities are part of your "minimal". They are not part of mine. There
is something to educate yourself on. They are not needed.

> My current experiments revolve around defining my personal take on a minimal
> MATE desktop. Part of the motivation is that some recommended packages clash
> with ones I wish to use. Just removing offending packages after the fact is
> unaesthetic.
>
> My test machine has both a default install from DVD 1 and my minimalist
> install. I had done a standard install without specifying any GUI or extra
> packages.
>
> My base setup was installed by doing
>   apt-get --no-install-recommends install task-mate-desktop

That's a base *minimal* setup? Any task-* package is intended to provide
the fullest installation possible, even with --no-install-recommends.

>   apt-get install pluma gparted synaptic
>
> All it lacks is internet connectivity.
> I have a WiFi hotspot from T-mobile which I effectively use as a modem (WiFi
> is intentionally disabled). On the standard install it appears eth2 on
> Network Manager Applet.
>
> I used Synaptic to install network-manager-gnome

This is really what your post is about. I switched off when a decidedly
non-minimal package was mentioned. That's all apart from crippling the
use of a wireless connection.

> The apparent problem is that connecting the hotspot does dot trigger the
> "connecting" icon.

That's not the problem.

--
Brian.