Re: A call to drop gnome

Gene Heskett wrote:
> This is still wheezy, because except for firefox, it Just Works.  Theres
> another 2T drive with the latest stretch installed on it in this machine
> and I was in the process of moving my stuff to it with the intention of
> updating to Buster when it was declared stable. That came to a
> screeching halt when I read that synaptic was gone from buster.

  what?  synaptic is a GUI interface to package installation
and removal.  why should this block anything?  dpkg and apt
do those tasks just fine in a terminal.  i only used synaptic
in the past to get a quick access to lists of files installed
and locations which i now get another way.  it certainly isn't
a requirement...

  as far as a windowing desktop that does what i want i have
been using MATE since i got whiplashed by KDE (i liked it
and finally got my desktop set up how i wanted it and then
they ruined that so i switched to GNOME and just had that
set up and going how i wanted it and they f'd that up too).

  i don't need a lot of flashy window stuff, i just want it
to work and be reliable enough that i don't have to relearn
a new interface or keystrokes every time the next version
comes along.

> What I
> do next is still open for discussion. 3 of the 4 other machine tool
> driving machines on my network are also on wheezy, with the 4th, an
> r-pi-3b running a 3/4 ton lathe, running jessie, poorly. Good, realtime
> kernels and armhf are not on the best of terms, yet I get power failure
> to power failure uptimes.

  you must be on fairly good power supply if running that
large a machine...

  also above i'm not sure what you mean by tabbed?  i have
text terminal windows here with tabs without problems.

  songbird