Re: A few questions (buster and presentation)

Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-04-16 21:00:04)
> On Tuesday 16 April 2019 13:32:10 Michael Stone wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 06:27:34PM +0100, Paul Sutton wrote:
> > >There are 3 main ways to install packages,  I have tried to explain
> > > this in the presentation as
> > >
> > >Apt - 1.8.0 - command line tool (universal)
> > >Gnome-packagekit - used for gnome desktop environment
> > >Synaptic - 0.84.5 used for most other Desktop Environment(s)
> >
> > There's also aptitude, which actually works well.
>
> if you are damned carefull, I had it destroy 3 installs already, so badly
> I had to do a full reinstall.

All package managers will "destroy" your system if you ignore their
warnings about package removals!

All package managers need to do *something* when you use some unstable
package combination - which had to be the case for those systems you let
aptitude destroy.

When aptitude run into package conflicts its first suggestion is to
remove conflicting packages, where apt and apt-get instead tries to
force-install (e.g. ignoring recommendations).

When aptitude suggests a solution, you can tell it to come up with other
solutions to the conflict, and typically 2nd or 3rd proposal is what you
wanted.

If you dislike removals by default, then add a file
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99avoid-removals with this content:

  Aptitude::ProblemResolver::Remove-Level "maximum";

 - Jonas