Re: Cannot re-install synaptic on Buster.

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 13:10 -0400, Kieran Smyth wrote:
Thanks everyone for all the responses. The package gnome-packagekit seems like a good alternative for now, but ultimately I think reverting to stable rather than testing may be the way forward for me.

Although i'm going to explore other desktop environments, too. Not sure i'll be able to move away from MATE, though.

Lesson here is to pay attention when installing updates. Using synaptic, i missed that synaptic itself was going to be uninstalled after updating haha.

I know I'm pretty late to this party, but it took a little time to run down my quite different experience with Buster, Wayland, and Synaptic, which on this system seems to me to work just fine.

The original install was on 2018/06/27, from the Stretch 9.3.0 DVD-1 image. It was pretty much a vanilla installation, with Gnome (now mostly 3.30.1) and, it appears, Wayland (now mostly 1.16.0-1, but xwayland is 1.20.3-1).

All repository references were changed to Buster and and the system upgraded on 2018/07/08.

Sid repositories were added on 2018/10/02 to upgrade Firefox ESR to the later version. Buster was kept as the default target by specifying 'APT::Default-Release "buster";' in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/15preferences. I also installed the Sid version of Chromium several months later.

It appears Synaptic was installed from the beginning and at some point upgraded to the Sid version (presently 0.84.6, upgraded at 20:03 UDT today from 0.84.5).

With this configuration, synaptic works either when accessed directly from the DE (by uprivileged user, but won't install) and from an ssh session, started using "ssh -X -l root." I don't use things like gksu, so can't comment on that.

Now, hearing about the correction underway, I worry a bit that what I see as a highly workable solution will be undone and replaced by an error message. I always have leaned strongly toward accepting installation defaults and so learned to get along reasonably with Gnome, several network managers that mostly work (and when they do, make setup fairly painless), and even systemd, although I do not love it and think sysv-init was quite ok.

Regards,
Tom Dial

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:04 AM Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
        Hi.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 01:24:32AM -0400, Kieran Smyth wrote:
> For reasons unknown to me, synaptic uninstalled itself about three weeks
> ago. I am using Buster on the desktop, with MATE as my desktop environment.

Synaptic was removed from testing two weeks ago, see #818366.

> I like using a GUI frontend to apt, and if anyone can help me get it back
> on my system i'd really appreciate it.

You're not supposed to use synaptic in Wayland session anymore. Consider
using gnome-packagekit instead.

Reco