Re: Cannot re-install synaptic on Buster.

Thanks everyone for all the responses. The package gnome-packagekit seems like a good alternative for now, but ultimately I think reverting to stable rather than testing may be the way forward for me.

Although i'm going to explore other desktop environments, too. Not sure i'll be able to move away from MATE, though.

Lesson here is to pay attention when installing updates. Using synaptic, i missed that synaptic itself was going to be uninstalled after updating haha.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 2:04 AM Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:
        Hi.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 01:24:32AM -0400, Kieran Smyth wrote:
> For reasons unknown to me, synaptic uninstalled itself about three weeks
> ago. I am using Buster on the desktop, with MATE as my desktop environment.

Synaptic was removed from testing two weeks ago, see #818366.

> I like using a GUI frontend to apt, and if anyone can help me get it back
> on my system i'd really appreciate it.

You're not supposed to use synaptic in Wayland session anymore. Consider
using gnome-packagekit instead.

Reco