Re: How could I install ecryptfs-utils on Buster

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 20:56:04 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> If I remember encfs correctly, encfs is designed to provide exclusive
> access to the user who mounts an encrypted folder -- no other user,
> including root, can see the plaintext.

My understanding is that while this is technically correct, it must be
understood that any protection against a malicious root user is
nevertheless mostly illusory, since root can simply do 'su
username' (not to mention run a password sniffer, or directly examine
kernel data structures, bypassing the filesystem):

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/94170/use-encfs-to-encrypt-files-so-that-a-particular-user-or-process-can-access-them
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47018/encfs-with-expect-access-denied
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-security-4/can-i-protect-against-root-592947/
https://askubuntu.com/questions/316197/password-protect-files-folders-using-cli