Re: [sbuild] how to create chroot environment

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 03:26:04PM +0100, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 02:30:33PM +0300, Alexei Fedotov wrote:
> >it seems schroot package is somehow missed in my repository, I will
> >look into it.
>
> schroot is merely recommended by sbuild, and not depended upon by it:
> presumably sbuild can be used in some other way without schroot. When
> you installed sbuild your package manager must have been configured
> not to install Recommends; the default behaviour (for apt, at least)
> is to install Recommends.

Yes, sbuild defaults to schroot, but can use other methods. From
sbuild's man page:

  --chroot-mode=schroot|sudo|autopkgtest
    Select the desired chroot mode. Four values are possible:
    schroot (the default), sudo (which uses sudo to execute
    chroot in a directory from  /etc/sbuild/chroot or ./chroot)
    and autopkgtest which uses the autopkgtest-virt-* binaries
    (selectable via the --autopkgtest-virt-server option).
    This command line option sets the CHROOT_MODE configuration
    variable. See sbuild.conf(5) for more information.

So at first sight it seems that sbuild doesn't check whether schroot
is available, and if not, it runs aground by trying to use it, as
it is its default.

OP has installed schroot already, which is generally a Good Thing
anyway -- but whenever there are reasons not to use it, perhaps
the command-line option "--chroot-mode=sudo" (or its equivalent
config item) might be of help.

Cheers
-- tomás