Re: Cannot re-install synaptic on Buster.

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 11:15:48AM +0300, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 09:56:04AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:42:19AM +0300, Reco wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 09:14:30AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

[...]

> > This was admittedly a bit provocative -- no offense intended.
>
> None taken. I saw the smiley ☺.

Phew :)

> > > A short-term solution at best, although I'll avoid Wayland in buster.
> >
> > Why do you think it is a short term solution?
>
> Because GNOME. GNOME's upstream said their word loud and clear, and that
> word is - 'thou shall use Wayland for it is our favorite toy now'.

Yes, for GNOME users that's right. And GNOME is Debian's default DE.
But not the only one, and you don't even have to have a DE (I haven't
one, for example).

> A modern GNOME project is known for feature removal [...]

I don't like myself many of the choices GNOME has taken. Nevertheless,
its intention is to make user's lives more enjoyable [1], and that
is commendable. For "my" end users (i.e. those for whom I play
"local friendly hacker") I tend to help them taking their choices.
Some are fine with modern GNOME (that means I have to have some
working knowledge of that), others run away, screaming in horror
(they usually settle on something like Mate or XFCE).

Myself? As I already said: to me, a desktop environment is an
abomination. Give me a "classical" window manager and I'm your
guest.

As elsewhere, I'd say: diversity rocks!

> Luckily for us, Debian stable users, we're promised a lack of behaviour
> changes during the lifecycle of a stable release. And Debian keeps that
> promise most of the time [...]

You make it sound as if there were some cabal behind Debian. I think
Debian (folks) will be happy to keep alternatives viable as long as
there is someone around willing to do the legwork.

Watch again systemd: while the default in Debian, it is perfectly
possible to install a Debian system without it (mine is SysV, and
I do play around with installers for raspi). And quite a bit of
the necessary legwork (SysV init scripts for packages et al) *is
being done by the respective package maintainers, many of whom may
be systemd proponents... just because they think your choice is
important!*

For me, that's awesome. That is how civilisation works. That's why
I tend to go berserk every time I see mud being slung at them.
We might disagree, but we shouldn't sling mud at people giving us
software for free. Discussion, Bug reports, patches, all fine.
But no mud.

> > This is more or less my situation. After a detour through Gnome I
> > finally came back to fvwm, and glad I did.
>
> Ah, that's the thing. They give you mutter (it's a GNOME thing) and they
> give you weston (a reference 'window manager').
> Both lose in usability to my openbox setup.

Hey. It's free software. Shouldn't we be rather saying "we give
ourselves [2] this and that?" Who's "they" anyway

Now let me step down from my soapbox.

Cheers

[1] I'm applying some amount of Hanlon's razor here
[2] In the reciprocal, not in the egocentric sense

-- t