Re: Cannot re-install synaptic on Buster.

On 15/04/2019 09:15, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 09:56:04AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:42:19AM +0300, Reco wrote:
>>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 09:14:30AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> This was admittedly a bit provocative -- no offense intended.
>
> None taken. I saw the smiley ☺.
>

>>> A short-term solution at best, although I'll avoid Wayland in buster.
>>
>> Why do you think it is a short term solution?
>
> Because GNOME. GNOME's upstream said their word loud and clear, and that
> word is - 'thou shall use Wayland for it is our favorite toy now'.
>
> A modern GNOME project is known for feature removal. There was no single
> GNOME release since the 3.0 version which lacked "we've removed A and
> we've removed your ability to do B, because reasons" in the changelog.
>
> Therefore one can expect the removal of the ability to run GNOME with
> plain X (it's possible for now), and in GNOME speak it's will be a
> "feature".
>
> Debian project, like the most distributions, ships GNOME as a
> primary/default Desktop Envirionment. Therefore one can expect that this
> GNOME's "feature"-to-be will be included in Debian sooner or later, and
> once done the "feature" can affect other, seemingly unrelated packages.
> A synaptic comes to mind here ☺.
>
> Luckily for us, Debian stable users, we're promised a lack of behaviour
> changes during the lifecycle of a stable release. And Debian keeps that
> promise most of the time.
>

> So, I'll keep using X in buster, as I stopped using GNOME long time ago
> (etch was the testing, grass was greener etc).
>

>>> Tried the thing, did not like all two 'window managers' from the main
>>> archive that come with the Wayland.
>>
>> This is more or less my situation. After a detour through Gnome I
>> finally came back to fvwm, and glad I did.
>
> Ah, that's the thing. They give you mutter (it's a GNOME thing) and they
> give you weston (a reference 'window manager').
> Both lose in usability to my openbox setup.
>
> Reco

Hi

I prefer and will stick to lxde,  however with this presentation it is
probably better to stick to the default options,  which I am guesing
will be wayland + gnome 3.  Of course I want to also make it simple
enough so people can easily edit it for their needs.

If I select desktop environment + Lxde,  I would assume that the system
will go back to X + lxde.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton