Re: putty go slow

mick crane <mick.crane@gmail.com> writes:

> the PCs are physically adjacent connected with the RJ45 ( isn't it )
> cables through what is supposed to be a switch I got in B&Q several
> years ago.

Almost, RJ-45 is the specification for the plug and jacks, what you're
having here is ethernet wiring in twisted pairs between client and
server connected by a hub.  Or switch, please clarify that as that
changes a lot.

Is anything else connected to this hub?  If your problems occur, is
anything else using the hub concurrently?  Can you reduce the
connections only to server and client and maybe a internet uplink?
Network printers can do unimaginably bad things in regard to hubs, and
even switches.

Can you change the hub to a real switch?

> but I think it might be a hub.
> Perhaps that is the culprit ?

Perhaps. Check the "ifconfig" output on the Linux side, maybe reset the
server, connect from windows and if you're having problems check the
dmesg output regarding the interface.

For reference, here's my output:

eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 217.172.177.159  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 217.172.177.255
        ether 00:19:66:f1:43:9e  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 81994186  bytes 14753508445 (13.7 GiB)
        RX errors 14  dropped 0  overruns 14  frame 0
        TX packets 107524155  bytes 14836289080 (13.8 GiB)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

Take note of the 2nd line of RX and TX status lines, there should be no
counters there, in my case 14 overruns in regard to 819 million packets
is a very low error rate.  I suspect that if there's a network problem
it would manifest in some higher relative values on your side.

If in doubt verify that both sides are set to auto-negotiate and replace
both wires from the machines to the hub with new cables.

Peter