Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Friday 05 April 2019 23:06:13 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 05 Apr 2019 at 14:21:21 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Friday 05 April 2019 11:05:00 Jonathan Dowland wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Indeed, and running the UI toolkit code as root was always
> > > considered a bad design pattern, even whilst it works under X.
> >
> > But thats no longer possible with X, root cannot use the users
> > display.
> >
> > And for me, the only user on this multiple machine network, that is
> > a major PITA because of the extremely inconsistent workaround's.
> >
> > Give us a method to su or sudo root, and run the stuff needing root,
> > at least a consistent procedure thats good for all releases.
> > Changing it around makes applying the same user package update to
> > every machine a different operation. LinuxCNC is updated in master
> > at least 2x a week sometimes daily as a new feature gets added and
> > needs debugged. So even if wheezy is dead, synaptic gets run quite
> > frequently to keep that up to date. The jessie install on the pi for
> > instance won't let me run synaptic from anyplace but its own
> > keyboard. Anyplace else, and ssh'd in, I have to sudo apt etc.
> >
> > Consistency is the magic word, and we don't have it.
>
> I don't understand how you can expect consistency in an OS that
> supports ~10 architectures and four releases, written over a period
> of, say, six years or more. Particularly considering that it's
> not possible to revise the earlier releases to take account of
> changes forced by the evolution of software external to the project
> and by increasing security exigencies.

If I'm willing to forgo web browsing, wheezy can still be running 20
years from  now, the only changes needed would be for ssh|l|tls stuff if
you are using it for email. I am behind a dd-wrt flashed router with no
local firewalls running anyplace on this local net.

No one has come past that that I didn't invite in, and I'm not doing a
thing to get that security that the rest of you can't do, probably even
better.

So I don't worry about security, I worry about interoperability on my
local network, but the way thats headed, there will not be the
possibility of my ssh'ing into one of my other machines and doing a
simple ls or pwd to see where I am.  That IMO is not real security, but
PARANOIA and should rightly be called as such.

This os was originally able to ignore whether the key/mouse stroke came
from its own keyboard, or one in Lisbon, Portugal. Or from this machine,
100+ feet of cat5 away. This is NOT an M$ single user system, so quit
trying to restrict it to what a winders box can do.

> You can hide any differences in how you obtain root by just wrapping
> your command in a script, appropriate for each architecture/release.
> Just one script to maintain if you use case or if/else.

Then Make it so...

> (BTW It beats me why you need the functionality of synaptic to keep
> a wheezy system going. What do you do with it beyond the equivalent
> of running apt-get update/upgrade?)

Since the deb repo's went away, not much. I have 2 active lines left in
my sources.list now.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett