Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Friday 05 April 2019 22:39:23 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 05 Apr 2019 at 17:01:33 (-0400), Lee wrote:

> > > ... on amd64/i386 only. Whenever Wayland is the problem or the
> > > solution, punishing all other supported architectures seems
> > > extreme.
> >
> > That's what I don't understand.  Why remove the package if it's only
> > a problem with some desktops?
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland
> > Unsupported Desktop environments:
> >     Cinnamon: discussed
> >     MATE: planned, source (2014)
> >     XFCE: planned
> >
> > Can't [whatever installs the software] notice that Gnome is
> > installed/selected & not install synaptic?  Or patch synaptic to
> > realize it's running under Gnome & spit out an error message and
> > quit?
>
> I think a better solution would be what's suggested in message #60
> of the bug report:
>
>    "Why not make a [Conflicts:] with Wayland / Gnome? It's not
>     possible to make sure that synaptic installs on a [Conflicts:]
>     that would remove Wayland?"
>
> This is probably the easiest option to support as it should be
> possible to implement just by adding a line to the two Packages
> files for the architectures affected.
>
> > Everybody pays the price because it doesn't work with Gnome seems a
> > bit much.

I 110% agree.

> Given a straight toss-up though, I think synaptic has to give way
> because there are plenty of alternatives.

Name a Good One! I don't believe you can, and be nameing one the rest of
us can agree is a good substitute for it.  One that works as well as or
better than synaptic.

> I'd never heard of it until
> a few people started mentioning it here, and I'd never consider using
> it myself on X except as an ordinary user.

That David, I think would be your mistake, for not experienceing a
package manager that for 99.99% of the job, Just Works. Lots of people
here will defend aptitude, but I've had aptitude totally destroy my
systems 3 times now, IMNSHO it should come with big warning labels, and
a chance to abort it when you hit the g, because once its started to do
what it thinks is best, and it doesn't always tell you what else its
going to rip out because of perceived interdependencies, it is totally
unresponsive to anything but the power switch. In short, aptitude can be
extremely dangerous to anyone who /thinks/ its a good package manager.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)