Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On Friday 05 April 2019 11:05:00 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

[...]

> Indeed, and running the UI toolkit code as root was always considered
> a bad design pattern, even whilst it works under X.

But thats no longer possible with X, root cannot use the users display.

And for me, the only user on this multiple machine network, that is a
major PITA because of the extremely inconsistent workaround's.

Give us a method to su or sudo root, and run the stuff needing root, at
least a consistent procedure thats good for all releases. Changing it
around makes applying the same user package update to every machine a
different operation. LinuxCNC is updated in master at least 2x a week
sometimes daily as a new feature gets added and needs debugged. So even
if wheezy is dead, synaptic gets run quite frequently to keep that up to
date. The jessie install on the pi for instance won't let me run
synaptic from anyplace but its own keyboard. Anyplace else, and ssh'd
in, I have to sudo apt etc.

Consistency is the magic word, and we don't have it.

Thanks.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)