Re: 'synaptic' removed from buster

On 2019-04-05 10:06, Gene Heskett wrote:

On 2019-04-04 20:57, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2019 at 03:46:52PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> The solution seems simple enough, fix wayland.  This is after all a
>> multiuser and multitasking OS, why go out of the way, way out of
>> the way
>> to make it work like win-3.0?
>
> The notion of running a client as user X to talk to a display server
> running as user Y seems to directly contradict the Wayland security
> model.  As far as I can understand it, given the rather vague
> Wayland documentation I've seen so far.
>
> I think the "correct" fix for synaptic would be to redesign it to
> run the
> graphical interface as you, communicating with an auxiliary process
> that
> runs as root which can install and remove packages.  That second
> process
> could be a child of synaptic, or an independent daemon of some kind.
> Authentication methods to be determined by whomever does the work.
>
> I would not describe this solution as "simple".  Maybe you had a
> different
> solution in mind.

Making you be root to download stuff off the internet never seemed
like a good idea.

mick

Good point, Mick. But then who owns /var/cache/apt?

I dunno, I asked a similar question when I installed gentoo over a dial up modem.
2 weeks on the phone line as root didn't seem sensible.

Cheers, Gene Heskett

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31