Re: "fatal" screen blanking (was: Getting amd64 stretch netinstall to work)

On Friday 05 April 2019 04:09:55 Felix Miata wrote:

> Gene Heskett composed on 2019-04-04 15:09 (UTC-0400):
> > ...I had other things to do and left mc running but sitting idle
> > while I attended to the washing machine and walked to the mailbox to
> > get todays mail.  On returning, the screen  had been blanked.
> > Nothing on the keyboard or mouse would unblank it, and I had to
> > resort to the reset button.
> >
> > TDE-trinity is now installed and was rebooted to at the time. No
> > screenblanker gfx had yet been assigned, nor had an "xset -q" been
> > run to see what the defaults might have been. So I am rebooted back
> > to wheezy pending advice on what to do about this as I don't expect
> > to have to reset & reboot the machine everytime I walk away for ten
> > minutes.
> >
> > Hopefully someone else has encountered this and knows the fix.
>
> Were you running MC in TDE? Have you set its screen power save to
> maximum 120 minutes (as I do)?

MC has no such option.  TDE I haven't checked yet. But PI sure wouldn't
think its defaults would be such a disaster.

> Have you tried booting with consoleblank=0 on kernel cmdline?
No, never had to before.

> Have you tried anything like xorg.conf for dpms? e.g.

The monitor was not turned off, just blanked with a blinking cursor.  And
no response from the keyboard or mouse, as if the wireless usb rx
dongles had all been turned off. That left the reset button which
rebooted it of course.

> /etc/xorg.conf.d/50-monitor.conf:
>
> 	Section "Monitor"
> 	    Identifier "DefaultMonitor"
> 		Option	"DPMS"	"off"
> 	EndSection

I'll look the next time I reboot to it.

> Have you tried setting BIOS suspend mode to S1 instead of (typical
> default) S3?

I have never played with that as it runs 24/7. Not even sure I could find
it in the bios. And I don't even know the diff between S1 and S3.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)