Re: text editors

On Sat 30 Mar 2019 at 01:29:48 (+0100), deloptes wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
>
> > I'm not trying to persuade anyone to use Emacs.  I am trying to convince
> > people not to be deterred from trying it because of myths such as "You
> > can't use Emacs if you can't program in Lisp".
>
> Sorry John, but all of this is obsolete, if you are pragmatic enough, you
> would admit it. Just take a step back and have a look from the other side.

I'm finding it very difficult to follow your argument. What, exactly,
is obsolete. Using emacs, or the myth. If this thing is obsolete,
when was it current and when did it become obsolete?

And what do you mean by the other side? The side of the persuader, or
the side of the persuaded, or something else entirely.

> What I am trying to say is that it is not worth investing time in learning
> it - learning not lisp, but the whole emacs stuff and partially lisp,
> because as someone said sooner or later you need this or that - finally
> this is THE feature of emacs. If you do not take advantage of lisp, then
> why not use any other editor. Sorry!

Emacs has a huge repertoire of functionality accessible through its
commands, without any requirement to know or use *lisp. You sometimes
see some lisp-ish stuff on the screen when, say, using its help
system, but it can be ignored if you don't understand it. Just keep
feeding it files and commands.

People buy cars and drive them around without understanding what's
going on under the bonnet. Yes, you could learn to be a mechanic and
improve their performance but it's certainly not necessary. It would
be ridiculous to suggest that people shouldn't bother to learn to
drive unless they take courses in mechanics, and if they refuse,
to ask them why they didn't use uber instead.

Cheers,
David.