Understanding (some) Lisp (was: Re: text editors)

<Intentionally top posting -- I think it works better for this case...>

As an exercise for myself (having once had to "learn" Lisp in school, and more
than once having tried to learn to use EMACS (before the days of the mouse and
menu, iirc)), I decided to see if I could understand any of the code.

I think I got the gist of most of it, but I don't understand why the double
parenthesis around "((inhibit-read-only t))"?