Re: stretch install for amd64-9.8.0 problems.

On Wednesday 27 March 2019 17:12:55 Thomas Schmitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i pointed to:
> > > https://wiki.debian.org/JigdoOnLive#If_needed.2C_work_around_a_sho
> > >rtcoming_of_older_jigdo-lite
>
> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Makes perfect sense, thanks Thomas.
>
> But does it help ?
>
> Steve talks of not finding the packages, whereas i talk of not finding
> the .jigdo files (*). Please clarify which files exactly are reported
> by jigdo-lite as non-existing.
>
> Is your jigdo-lite old enough at all to suffer from the https
> blindness ? https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=865864
> was closed in december 2017 by release of program version 0.7.3-5.

> (*)
> .template is mainly a compressed ISO image with holes where packages
> were stored in the original ISO image.
> .jigdo is mainly a compressed list of pool paths of Debian packages.
> The packages sit in the pool trees of one or more Debian mirror
> servers.
>
> jigdo-lite downloads .jigdo and .template and then fills the holes of
> the template by downloading the packages from the mirrors.
> The https blindness bug 865864 affected only the .jigdo/.template
> download.
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

I just grabbed the 4th copy of the netinstall cd, maybe k3b will write a
good copy next time... First 2 burns failed at the switch to initrd file
point.

What linux really needs is the ability to write a new install to a new HD
which is what I'll be doing with the netinstall, and do it while the old
system is fully functional so problems can be fixed as they are
encountered. Very disappointing to see a disk error pop up at sector
28xxx after 10 minutes of reading an ancient but freshly burnt cd image.
8 minutes so you ctrl-alt-del and reboot to wheezy.
New burn done, and I'll reboot to it as soon as I hit ctrl-return

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)