Re: Curt --- Re: iotop - or, checking what is accessing a drive

On 3/22/19, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 22 Mar 2019 at 14:00:24 (-0400), deb wrote:
>>
>> Just a reminder -- the bulk of mine are Seagate Backup Plus (1-5TB.
>> USB 3.0).
>> On Windows, when you dismount (Safely Remove) these
>> the light goes off.
>
> I've never seen the light go off until it spins down (those that do).

You're reminding me of something I read and have now mostly forgotten.
It was something about today's hard drives being *maybe*
"intelligent".

On some (presumably newer) hardware, there are one or more BIOS
settings that affect how hard drives function. A quickly attempted
search landed the potentially useful phrases of "sleep mode" and "HDD
standby".

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey