Re: Installing Debian on SSD

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 08:20:31 +0330
"Iman P." <owlialife@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam
>
> First thanks for your time.
>
> I have an Acer laptop (Aspire E1, x64, amd i7, ram 16, vga 2).
>
> My base tasks are using virtual machines.
>
> I use dual boot for Win10 & Debian 8.6 & the type of Bios boot is
> “Legacy”.
>
> I gonna change my HDD to SSD & install just Debian 9.8 (so need at
> least two primary partitions).
>
> My mainboard supports both legacy & uefi mode.
>
> I know uefi mode just run on GPT not MBR.
>

> Please consult,
>
> Are you agree to install debian on uefi mode?

Yes, the current Debian 9 netinstall will install in uefi mode. If you
don't have an optical drive, and virtually nothing does nowadays, you
will need to write it to USB stick with dd or a Windows raw write
utility.

> If yes,
>
> Is it enough to change Bios type to “uefi” & then start installation?

Probably, but this is where you tell us. Unfortunately, manufacturers
do not test their products with twenty distributions of Linux, in fact
not usually even one. So there is no giant database of Linux
compatibility of products.

There is a limited database compiled by users, but it is generally a
bit out of date, and only covers a handful of the thousands of
computers of recent manufacture. There are also reviews, which mention
five or six models.

If you're very lucky, someone reading this will have already done it.
But the chances are very small, people looking for a new laptop to tun
Linux are generally directed towards Dell.

As it happens, I have recently installed Debian on a Windows 10 Acer
Aspire, but that is no help to you, as it's an ES1-132 netbook, and
undoubtedly has completely different hardware. There's no 'legacy' in
the BIOS. I left Win10 on the built-in 32GB (!) SSD, and installed a
standard SSD in the space provided. The netinstall installer then dealt
correctly with the new SSD, and I can even still boot into Win10 should
I wish to, for some strange reason.

--
Joe