Re: Laptop still extremely slow after replacing msata ssd and putting old one back

On 04/03/2019 13.53, Hans wrote:
> Am Montag, 4. März 2019, 13:04:53 CET schrieb hdv@gmail:
> Hi,
>
> try to start with a livefile system, then check the ssd speed. Thus you see, if
> the problem is by the operating system or by the hardware.
>
> If it is same slow, then you know a hardware problem.
>
> Check the BIOS configurations of the harddrive, mybe something has changed by
> the ssd exchange.
>
> If there is nothing obvious bad, try the ssd in another computer (with the
> same livefile test) and see the results.
>
> If this is better, you can also try to reflash the BIOS (in case, the BIOS has
> trouble itself). Sometimes a mainboard needs a newer BIOS for newer hardware.
> This depends on the manufacturer. Check his sites.
>
> Last but not least, exchange the cables, maybe one makes trouble.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Best
>
> Hans

Hi Hans (and others),

Thanks for taking the time.

Upon rereading my original mail I see I was not clear enough.

This is what I did:

0] Notice the SSD was getting full. Otherwise the machine was OK. No signs of
trouble. Adequate performance.

1] Check if all settings in the BIOS were OK for the new SSD. They were. Nothing
needed changing.

2] Turn off the machine and lift the keyboard.

2] Remove the old SSD from the mSATA slot. (SanDisk U100 16GB)

3] Place the new SSD in that same slot. (Samsung EVO 860 500GB)

4] Close up the machine.

5] Boot from a netinstall image on a USB-stick. The image was downloaded at that
same day, no old image was used.

6] Install current stable on the new SSD. Update to testing after install. (The
original SSD was running a very recently updated testing as well.)

7] Reboot laptop.

8] Get scared from how slow it is. Tried to find out what was causing this. No
obvious indications found with hparm, smart and other tools. Neither in the logs.

9] Shut down machine.

10] Place old SSD back in its old slot.

11] Start machine expecting everything would be as it was before beginning with
step 1. That turned out to be not the case: it still is as slow as found during
step 8.

To summarise: nothing was changed in the BIOS, nothing was changed on the
original SSD. Same boot sequence was used. As far as I can see the mSATA slot is
connected directly to the motherboard, no cables to see.

My first mail was about what could be causing the laptop to behave differently,
even though nothing was changed in the BIOS and the original SSD hadn't been
touched. I'd like to solve that mystery first, before trying to make the new SSD
work as it should. I need this machine for work, so my first priority is to
restore it to a workable state.

Grx HdV