Re: Can't scan new disk

On Mon 25 Feb 2019 at 08:55:58 (-0600), Mark Allums wrote:
> On 2/25/19 8:48 AM, Curt wrote:
> > On 2019-02-25, Mark Allums <mark@allums.email> wrote:
> > >
> > > This is not satisfactory.  Surely there is a way to neutralize a running
> > > gvfsd/fuse mount on a device without reinstalling to whole OS.
> >
> > man gvfsd says:
> >
> >   ENVIRONMENT
> >         GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE
> >             If this environment variable is set, gvfsd will not start the fuse filesystem.
> >
> > So maybe something like
> >
> >   GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE=1
> >   export GVFS_DISABLE_FUSE
> >
> > might be of aid in your neutralization efforts.
>
> Doesn't work.

No surprise there then. But when I pointed out this variable
yesterday, I warned that setting this variable so that it
gets noticed might not be straightforward. So writing
"Doesn't work" doesn't really cut it, not to put too fine
a point on it.

And my other suggestion?

> > Or perhaps simply:
> >
> >   gconftool --type Boolean --set /apps/nautilus/preferences/media_automount false
> >
> > If not, sorry, and my respects to Martha.
> >

> I don't use Gnome/Nautilus.  MATE and/or Xfce.

Perhaps booting into single user mode (root) is brutal enough.

Cheers,
David.