Re: Can't scan new disk

On 2/24/19 6:42 AM, Mark Allums wrote:
Any advice as to how to stop the auto-mounter, gvfsd, or fuse, etc. from tying up my disk, or how to get fsck to scan it?

Use an OS and/or desktop that do not have automatic mounting. I use Debian Stable with Xfce. One of the first things I do after installation is to disable automounting via Thunar (Xfce file manager).

If that does not work, make your own Debian console-only live USB stick -- download the latest Debian Stable installer, burn it to media, connect a 16+ GB USB 3.0 flash drive, wipe the flash drive, power down, completely disconnect all HDD's and SSD's (power and data cables for internal drives, USB, Firewire, etc., cables for external drives), leave the USB flash drive connected, boot the install media, start the Debian installer, install to the USB flash drive, at the "Choose software to install" menu select "SSH server" and "standard system utilities" only, finish the install, reboot into the USB flash drive, remove the install media, SSH in from another machine, connect your USB dock and disk, and trouble-shoot.

David