Re: Debian Sid updates

On 2/23/19 11:15 AM, Default User wrote:

On Sat, Feb 23, 2019, 10:12 Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca <mailto:debianlist@videotron.ca>> wrote:

    On 2/23/19 10:05 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
     > On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 09:44:55AM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:
     >> I am running Debian Sid and have not had any updates for a
    couple of days. I
     >> gather this is because of the upcoming release of Buster?
     >
     > The soft freeze started a few days ago, so I would expect a
    significant
     > decline in the pace of new uploads to unstable.
     >
     >> I have read some
     >> advice on the net that I should change my sources list to point
    to Buster to
     >> avoid a cascade of updates. Is this advisable ?
     >>
     > That approach is unlikely to work how you expect.  In particular,
    there
     > many packages in unstable which have been removed from buster and so
     > will not be part of the release.  If you have had your sources
    pointed
     > to "sid" and you change them to "buster" there is a possibility you
     > could end up with mix of packages from unstable and testing.  In some
     > cases, when a package exists in testing and a newer version in
    unstable
     > has been kept out of testing purpose, you may end up with the newer
     > buggy version from unstable and that may present problems for you.
     >
     > The two most sensible approaches you can take are: 1) stick with
> unstable, or, 2) install fresh from a buster beta installer. Which you
     > choose depends on whether or not you eventually want to end up on
     > stable.
     >
     > Regards,
     >
     > -Roberto

        Thanks for the info. I'll stick with unstable for the moment.

-- Frank McCormick

Frank, it's not your imagination. I run unstable also, and did notice in last few days less and more infrequent updates, which I suspected was because of the "freeze" process.

(But just this morning, 43 updates, after zero last night.) And the number of updates available should be related to how "lean" your system is.

I agree with Roberto: I do not see any point in mixing in stuff from Buster with unstable. If you want unstable, and it works for you, then run unstable. Period.

Works for me.

(NOTE: my opinion is free, and worth every penny!)

Sounds like my experience...except even this morning there were no updates. I'll stick with unstable...it seems that the most logical.

Thanks

--
Frank McCormick