Re: Running Debian on an AMD Ryzen system

Sam Varghese wrote:

> On Fri, February 22, 2019 7:46 am, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > What are you concerned about?
>
> Thanks for your response, Dan.
>
> I have seen some older reports about kernel issues and crashes. Hence my
> concern.

I haven't seen any while running Stretch or later.

> I presume that the built-in graphics system can be disabled from the BIOS
> (or UEFI) and a stock standard graphics card used instead. Would I be
> correct in assuming that?

For desktops, yes. My son is using a Ryzen 2300U laptop, and the
stretch-backports amdgpu X11 system works well for him. His last
remaining issue is that the touchscreen isn't working, which is
not a Ryzen issue.

Ryzen (and ThreadRipper)_chips without a G or U suffix have no
built-in graphics anyway, so it's not an issue unless you're
buying one of those.

-dsr-