Re: Running Debian on an AMD Ryzen system

On Fri, February 22, 2019 7:46 am, Dan Ritter wrote:
> Sam Varghese wrote:
>> I would value feedback from anyone on this list who has been running
>> Debian on an AMD Ryzen system. I have gone back through list posts for a
>> year and cannot find anything on this subject.
>>
>> I am running the testing stream and am looking to upgrade a 10-year-old
>> PC
>> which I use for work. Having had good experiences with AMD processors in
>> the past - my current box has a K6-2 chip - I would prefer to go with a
>> processor from the same company.
>>
>> If anyone does respond, could you please copy me in? I am not subscribed
>> to the list.
>
> I have installed Debian on several Ryzen machines. No particular
> problems, unless you are using the built-in graphics systems, in
> which case you may need to get X11 via stretch-backports.
>
> What are you concerned about?

Thanks for your response, Dan.

I have seen some older reports about kernel issues and crashes. Hence my
concern.

I presume that the built-in graphics system can be disabled from the BIOS
(or UEFI) and a stock standard graphics card used instead. Would I be
correct in assuming that?

Please copy me in as I am not subscribed to the list.

Thanks,
Sam