Re: Why /usr/sbin is not in my root $PATH ?

    Hi.

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 11:12:12AM -0700, ghe wrote:
> Another Busterism, BTW: ping now requires root privileges. It does on
> my
> computer, anyway. Maybe I made a mistake when I installed -- somebody
> sure did.

Ping *always* required root, more precisely, CAP_NET_RAW.
So they either made ping root-owned suid, or assigned CAP_NET_RAW
capability to it (that's stretch btw):

$ /sbin/getcap /bin/ping
/bin/ping = cap_net_raw+ep

So, run "/var/lib/dpkg/info/iputils-ping.postinst configure" (or whatever iputils
alternative you have installed), and enjoy sanity restored.

PS I should watch who I'm replying to.

Reco