GUIs are turning into seas of grey (gnumeric)

I can't understand why modern GUIs are composed of grey20 widgets
on a grey21 background. How am I meant to know what's going to happen
when I press Return on each of these dialogue boxes, 1­3?

We used to see things more like attachment 4 only a few years ago.
How can I get back something like that?

help.gnome.org/users/gnumeric/stable/gnumeric.html is a huge page
and it shows fancy elements being placed on graphs, but not into
its own windows, as far as I can see.

Cheers,
David.