Re: Stretch to buster

On 2/8/19 11:09 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 15:06:34 +0000
Paul Sutton <zleap@disroot.org> wrote:

Updated from Stretch to Buster (non-free) the other day all went fine,
just undertaken
Why?  Buster is still alpha.  A lot can still go wrong.  Hope it's not
your primary use distro.
Why?: 1. migrate now, or later this year when Buster is the new Stable.
2. Newer features. Mate 1.20 is great, so is 1.16 but there have been several "new shiny things" I like.

alpha? maybe so: Been using Buster on one machine for 6 months or a year, no issues... none that lasted more than the next update anyway. The last couple months zip.

I have other distros available on the machines. My data is always accessible.

apt update && apt upgrade
With testing, dist-upgrade is the recommended upgrade procedure. That
would be 'full-upgrade' with apt, if memory serves.  Read the
manual for why.

my procedure was dead simple:

using Pluma:
edit both /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/base.list
> replace stretch with buster

using Synaptic: refresh and update ... took about an hour.

reboot and all was good

today and  all seem to go fine,  The process seems to be pretty painless
for the most part.
Well I think that's because Debian's alphas are everybody else's betas
or better.
true that! packages have to be in pretty good shape to get to the Buster repo
excellent vetting process