Re: C, automake, testing change for compiling old c program

On Thu, Feb 07, 2019 at 06:06:01AM -0500, songbird wrote:
>   i used to be able to compile my program
> using Debian testing/unstable by setting the -m32
> in CFLAGS and regenerating my environment.
>
>   now i'm picking up a warning from the auto stuff
> like:
>
> =====
> checking sys/ioctl.h usability... no
> checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: present but cannot be compiled
> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: see the Autoconf documentation
> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
> configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to blahblahblah    ##
> configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
> checking for sys/ioctl.h... no
> =====

It could be that your sys/ioctl.h is the 64 bit one. Some questions:

  - you're on Debian, are you?
  - what is the exact path to sys/ioctl.h?
  - have you enabled multiarch?

That said, cross building isn't that hard these days (and Debian
rocks at that). Some -dev packages aren't (yet) multi-arch capable,
so in those cases you'll have to bite the bullet anyway.

(Yes, in your case above, sys/ioctl.h is (I guess) in linux-libc-dev,
which is multi-arch capable).

Cheers
-- tomás