C, automake, testing change for compiling old c program

  i used to be able to compile my program
using Debian testing/unstable by setting the -m32
in CFLAGS and regenerating my environment.

  now i'm picking up a warning from the auto stuff
like:

=====
checking sys/ioctl.h usability... no
checking sys/ioctl.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: sys/ioctl.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to blahblahblah    ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------ ##
checking for sys/ioctl.h... no
=====

  if i ignore the warning the program will not compile:

=====
In file included from /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h:26,
                 from io.c:34:
/usr/include/bits/ioctls.h:23:10: fatal error: asm/ioctls.h: No such file or directory
 #include <asm/ioctls.h>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~
=====

  if i don't set the CFLAGS it won't give me
errors from the auto stuff and the program will
compile but then segfault when run because it
isn't 64 bit sane (and no i'm not going to go
through and fix it, it's an ancient program
with a lot of issues).

  i was hoping i wouldn't have to do a cross-
build setup for this to get it working.  that
drags in a lot of extra dependencies...

  any ideas/hints?

  it being old code if i can get it to compile
and run that is all i wish to do as simple as
possible.

  songbird