Re: PARTIAL success - was [Re: Adding/modifying users under MATE DE]

On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 01:47:26PM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 02/04/2019 12:29 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:

[...]

> If [as root] I do   > export EDITOR=/usr/bin/pluma
> before
>   > visudo
> things *approximately* work ;/
>
> Pluma, not nano, is invoked.

Not bad :-)

> $EDITOR is not preserved across sessions.

This is to be expected: this "export... " is only good for this
one shell session.

> I've seen mention of a remedy, but the reference is missing at moment.

Most probably you should add

  export EDITOR=/usr/bin/pluma

to your /etc/profile (for all users) or to $HOME/.xsession (for one
specific user). Don't know for sure whether MATE picks that up there
(others might chime in).

> The "error checking" of visudo appears to work:
>  1. If garbage string is entered, visudo will balk at saving it.
>  2. If garbage is preceded by "#", it will be saved on exit.
>
> NOTE BENE
> An error message is displayed BEFORE visudo executes:
> >(pluma:1343): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
> >

> >(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
> >Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
> >Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
> >Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
> >Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
> >Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
> >
> >(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
> >
> >(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
> >
> >(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
> >

> I've seen this form of error before when launching Pluma in a MATE
> terminal. Haven't chased down the details as everything appeared to
> "just work".

It seems pluma loses its umbilical cord to the mothership. I guess
there's some environment variable which is filtered out when invoking
the su shell (they are for security reasons, but there is a way to
whitelist them).

Background: gconf is a settings database where Gnome (and Mate)
applications can store their settings. To talk to this, the application
needs to know the coordinates of the thingy to talk to (perhaps an
Unix domain socket?) Those coordinates are probably stashed in an
environment variable (Caution; there's much guesswork involved
here).

Sigh. Gnome and its family. They are so fussy.

Perhaps someone around here has more solid knowledge of that.

Cheers
-- tomás