PARTIAL success - was [Re: Adding/modifying users under MATE DE]

On 02/04/2019 12:29 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 02/04/2019 11:32 AM, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
[snip]

Although it seems visudo can cope with a graphical editor [1],
I've never tried that. Perhaps someone around here has.

I can cope {if grumpily} with any editor.
I prefer Pluma, but that hardly qualifies as a console editor.
I'm not about to blindly edit those files on my primary machine. I've alternate hardware for test cases but I'm much more interested is safely and conveniently to configure users to work on a INTERESTING problem.

If [as root] I do   > export EDITOR=/usr/bin/pluma
before
  > visudo
things *approximately* work ;/

Pluma, not nano, is invoked.
$EDITOR is not preserved across sessions.
I've seen mention of a remedy, but the reference is missing at moment.

The "error checking" of visudo appears to work:
 1. If garbage string is entered, visudo will balk at saving it.
 2. If garbage is preceded by "#", it will be saved on exit.

NOTE BENE
An error message is displayed BEFORE visudo executes:
(pluma:1343): EggSMClient-WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported

(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed
Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)
Error creating proxy: The connection is closed (g-io-error-quark, 18)

(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

(pluma:1343): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to dconf: The connection is closed

I've seen this form of error before when launching Pluma in a MATE terminal. Haven't chased down the details as everything appeared to "just work".

Thank you.

Cheers

[1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/42726/how-do-i-change-the-default-text-editor-in-the-debian-squeeze-distro
-- t