Re: Application running over Debian and GPL

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 07:39:09PM -0200, Sileno de Oliveira Brito wrote:
> If i develop a application (in c or php) and install on Debian (GPL
> license) and distribuite this solution (my app + debian) how a appliance
> (both installed in a hardware) [...]

This is what is known as "mere aggregation" [1], and yes, you can combine
proprietary software with free software in this way.

You still have to watch out for which libraries you link with (LGPL is
compatible with proprietary, GPL isn't: for example, libc is LGPL, but
libreadline is GPL) and which code you might use in your own code base.

Read the licenses. When push comes to shove, ask a lawyer.

The GNU pages [2] on licenses is pretty good. It is written from GNU's
point of view, but it's well done over all.

Cheers

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0-faq.en.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/
-- t