Re: USB hard drives -- recommendations?

Build your own.

Buy an enclosure, you can chose the USB/SATA chip within limits
yourself. I prefer metal enclosures for better heat dissipation.

For the disk to put into that enclosure, you could refer to the yearly
Backblaze report for some more statistical meaningful numbers than
"anecdotal" stories:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/

But keep in mind that the environmental conditions there will most
likely not match yours, and your mileage will vary. And, you will need
to be prepared to lose your drive *at any time* anyway, regardless of
how "good" the drive type seems to be.

So the criteria for choosing one are like this

 - one of the major manufacturers
 - meets your technical specs (size, speed, rpm, desktop/NAS type, ...)
 - longest warranty (to minimize the risk of financial loss in the event
   of a drive failure)

for the best price.

I don't know if the general impression that 3.5" drives are more robust
than 2.5" ones is (still) valid, but I always use 3.5" personally.

	Jens