USB hard drives -- recommendations?

Fellow List members:

Would anybody care to voice an opinion on USB external hard drives in the 2 terabyte size range, for automated backup purposes?

We've been looking at the Seagate "Expansion" and the WD "Elements"; I've noticed that on Amazon, both have a fair number of negative reviews citing reliability issues. (We recently discovered that our current Seagate had apparently failed on us.)

Any opinions? Seagate? WD? Toshiba? Something else?

--
JHHL