Re: USB hard drives -- recommendations?

On Fri 25 Jan 2019 at 15:06:25 (-0500), Celejar wrote:

> One major annoyance (and I don't know if this is a problem affecting
> all USB external drives, or is related to my cables, USB ports, drives,
> or something else) is that the connections are terribly fragile: moving
> the drive, or even just jostling it, will usually result in the
> connection failing, and require replugging the cable and remounting
> (followed by an fsck) to continue. [FWIW, these are 2.5 inch drives -
> 3.5 may be sturdier, but I don't really know.]

In this respect, I find (with Seagate 3½ drives) that the USB3 cables
are far worse than USB2. For their lateral size, the USB3 plug's
insertion depth is so shallow that there's little grip, and the cables
(which probably contain more conductors) are stiffer, so any movement
sideways and they can fall out. The cables are shorter too; one metre
as opposed to two. I only use USB3 drives with a laptop when it's on
the table. For professional installations, I can't see any cure
because vibration is going loosen them even if everything is tied down.

Cheers,
David.