Re: USB hard drives -- recommendations?

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 01:09:59 +0500
"Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you value your data, my recommendation is to get inexpensive NAS with
> iSCSI, like Synology DS218j and run two disks in RAID1 for redundancy.
> This decision has many advantages, like:
> 1. You still will have your data even in case one drive fails or gets
> multiple bad blocks, so that 60Gb Virtual HD image will not turn out to
> be a punch card when you will try to use it as a backup.

RAID is for uptime, availability, performance - not ensuring the safety
of valuable data.

https://www.raidisnotabackup.com/

Backing up properly is the only way to safeguard valuable data. With
proper backups, your data will be safe with or without RAID. Without
proper backups, your data will not be safe with or without RAID.

Celejar