Re: Command line mounting all partitions of pluggable device

On Fri 18 Jan 2019 at 07:45:56 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 01/15/2019 10:40 AM, David Wright wrote:

> NOTE: When I posted this list, I used tabs rather than spaces to
> format the list. I've reformatted the list so it should survive post &
> quotation problems.

Perhaps "FreeAgent" went walkabout from line 6?

> > > For my current 2.2TB, the labels seem acceptably unique:
> > > MainCdrive           my-big-dvd     fromdell    richardofdell  debversionrichar
> > > Projects             F_drive        OldMachine  fullstretch    debian8.6
> > > recover-common       tomboy-testing owlcommon   new-net-inst   good-fvwm
> > > tst_mysql            tst_mariadb    dummy       target         gddrescued_commo
> > > jessie8-6-6          common         stretch-2nd 17oct2017      common-bak
> > > backup_homedirs      myhome         dectest     scratch_pad
> > > FreeAgentGoFlexDrive windows        GOFLEXPART5 recovered       mate-full
> > > post-failure         MISC-backups
> > >
> > Sure, but this sort of ad hoc naming "scheme" means that you have to
> > be aware of the entire current population of names every time you
> > create a new one. That presents a danger of collision.
>
> If partition labels were not explicitly assigned on an _ad hoc basis_,
> they would be useless.

One could debate the merits of any particular naming scheme all day,
but your statement that any planned or systematic scheme is "useless"
seems very odd. But I applaud your consistency: even your choice of
punctuation and capitalisation appears to be ad hoc.

> Consider the usefulness of a dictionary arranged by UUID rather than
> on an _ad hoc basis_ ;/

Not very different, if you're talking about conventional dictionaries
(rather than, say, hashes and other technical meanings).
Dictionary headwords are normally arranged in alphabetical order and,
beneath those headwords, each entry is arranged by grammatical category,
like verb transitive, verb intransitive, noun, adjective, etc.
A dictionary arranged by UUID would effectively be random.

But I think what you're revealing here (correct me if I'm wrong) is
that you've chosen to use partition LABELs as "headwords" for the
information contained in each partition.

> Quoting [https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/terms/ad-hoc/]
>
> > The term “ad hoc” is a Latin phrase that literally means “to this” and
> > commonly understood as meaning “for this purpose.” It can also be used
> > to mean “as needed.” It is commonly used in both business and government
> > settings. Ad hoc refers to actions taken to address a specific situation,
> > circumstance, or problem, and not usually intended to address other or
> > ongoing issues.
>
> IOW “for this purpose” == "finding partition with needed content".

That's your choice of *purpose* for the LABEL; it doesn't follow
from the referenced page. Applying that quotation to this thread,
"as needed" refers to the *process* of choosing LABEL names (ad hoc
as opposed to planned). The purpose, the "needed content", is needed
because, one assumes, that's the content you need to lay your hands on
now or at some time in the future. Your purpose is not ad hoc.

Mentioning other methods of finding content would widen this
discussion excessively, but describing the contents of a partition
in 16 characters (your purpose) does not seem to be particularly
sensible.

> If the labels were not "acceptably unique" they would, by definition,
> *NOT* be "ad hoc" [i.e. not suitable for intended purpose].

That doesn't make sense: "ad hoc" can of course mean "suitable
for intended purpose". It doesn't follow that "Not ad hoc" means
"unsuitable for intended purpose".

(Uniqueness doesn't come into the meaning of ad hoc.)

Using the definition at the top of that web page, your collection
of LABELs certainly looks like a collection of "one off" choices
to me, which is why I described your process of choosing them as
ad hoc.

My own method of choosing LABELs is also vulnerable to name collision,
but because every LABEL starts with the device's name (chosen in an
ad hoc set of systematic ways, and physically written on it when
acquired), collision is unlikely to occur.

Cheers,
David.