Re: Command line mounting all partitions of pluggable device

On 01/15/2019 10:40 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 14 Jan 2019 at 19:06:29 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 01/14/2019 02:18 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 14 Jan 2019 at 10:20:51 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
On 01/14/2019 09:22 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
Assuming there are entries in fstab for each partition, [...]
for i in  /dev/sd<device_letter>*;  do  mount $i; done

Rchard Owlett wrote:
There are not.

In the most general case i would have a where-to-mount directory with
lots of directories for the various partitions (here 10 drives with
20 partitions each).

But thankfully I don't have to deal with the most general case as I am
as compulsive about giving all partitions a reasonably unique label as
Debian is about assigning UUIDs.

"Reasonably unique" doesn't really cut it.

NOTE: When I posted this list, I used tabs rather than spaces to format the list. I've reformatted the list so it should survive post & quotation problems.

For my current 2.2TB, the labels seem acceptably unique:
MainCdrive           my-big-dvd     fromdell    richardofdell  debversionrichar
Projects             F_drive        OldMachine  fullstretch    debian8.6
recover-common       tomboy-testing owlcommon   new-net-inst   good-fvwm
tst_mysql            tst_mariadb    dummy       target         gddrescued_commo
jessie8-6-6          common         stretch-2nd 17oct2017      common-bak
backup_homedirs      myhome         dectest     scratch_pad
FreeAgentGoFlexDrive windows        GOFLEXPART5 recovered       mate-full
post-failure         MISC-backups

Sure, but this sort of ad hoc naming "scheme" means that you have to
be aware of the entire current population of names every time you
create a new one. That presents a danger of collision.

If partition labels were not explicitly assigned on an _ad hoc basis_, they would be useless.

Consider the usefulness of a dictionary arranged by UUID rather than on an _ad hoc basis_ ;/

Quoting [https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/terms/ad-hoc/]

The term “ad hoc” is a Latin phrase that literally means “to this” and
commonly understood as meaning “for this purpose.” It can also be used
to mean “as needed.” It is commonly used in both business and government
settings. Ad hoc refers to actions taken to address a specific situation,
circumstance, or problem, and not usually intended to address other or
ongoing issues.

IOW “for this purpose” == "finding partition with needed content".
If the labels were not "acceptably unique" they would, by definition, *NOT* be "ad hoc" [i.e. not suitable for intended purpose].

Cheers,
David.