Re: Stop insulting users

On Fri 18 Jan 2019 at 18:10:57 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 18 January 2019 17:20:33 David Wright wrote:
> > On Fri 18 Jan 2019 at 16:14:17 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote and
> > misquoted Dominik George: […]

> > > +1 from another old timer.  And at 84 & as of last week part bionic,
> > > Ric is right as rain.

> > > I got at least 4 such to me and to the list. If Ric hadn't beat me
> > > to it, I was about to write another procmail recipe.  Might yet if
> > > the OP that started this doesn't desist with spamming all the list
> > > members plus posting to the list.
> >
> > I haven't seen any spam from plataleas plataleas. By "spamming", do
> > you mean that you got individually addressed messages duplicating
> > their list postings, or something else entirely?
> Individually addressed to me, and identical to the posting. I use kmails
> dup del frequently, so theres a decent chance I don't have an example.

That's ok: as I said, they're in the web archive. If that's your only
complaint, I think the reaction was rather OTT.

But you might want to consult your "last rites" thread where
contains a procmail that deduplicates incoming mail.

> > > The guy may have had a legit question if one can read thru the haze
> > > of a language translator and make sense of it, the translator
> > > unfortunately did not leave any sense in the statements. So I never
> > > did figure out what the OP was wanting.

If the postings in the web archive contain everything that you
received duplicates of, then I can't understand why you're
talking about a "language translator". The only sentence I can
see that one might criticise is:

"Where the information is stored on the repository server specifying a
package as stable?"

If there are native English speakers who can't understand that to mean
"Where is the information stored on the repository server specifying a
package as stable?", then they're the ones with problems.

> > I received messages on the topic given by the subject line, starting
> > at https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/01/msg00636.html
> > concerning the availability of various kernel versions. They were
> > answered by Dominik George who eventually suggested that the OP
> > check whether their mirror was up to date, and that seemed to be
> > appropriate action. Suddenly Ric Moore chimed in with an accusation
> > of "spamming", under the same subject:
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/01/msg00714.html
> >
> > I've already deleted all the substantive posts because I'm not that
> > deeply into package management, but the archives (starting at the
> > msg00636.html address) show the thread just as I saw it.
> > So I'm perplexed.

Cheers,
David.