Re: customise internationalization

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 05:45:58PM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:38:52PM +0100, Andreas Berglund wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have Swedish language settings. I would like to partly change those. I
> > want Swedish keyboard settings and all the date formats, currency, thousands
> > separators, decimals and so on to conform to Swedish convention. But in
> > programs I want all menus, messages, error messages etc in English. Is this
> > doable, if so how?
> >
> Have a look at the locale(7) man page.  It describes macros for use by a
> programmer, but each of those macros also corresponds to an environment
> variable.  You can accomplish what you describe by settting all the LC_*
> variables (or perhaps LC_ALL) to your Swedish locale and then setting
> LANG to an English language locale.

Not LC_ALL.  That would override LANG.

export LANG=en_US.utf8          # or en_GB or whatever you prefer
export LC_TIME=sv_SE.utf8
export LC_MONETARY=sv_SE.utf8
export LC_NUMERIC=sv_SE.utf8

You'll have to figure out *where* to do this, and that will depend on
how you login to the system, and also on whether you run some kind of
Desktop Environment that will clobber your environment settings.