Re: customise internationalization

On 2019-01-17 14:12, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 05:45:58PM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:38:52PM +0100, Andreas Berglund wrote:
Hi!

I have Swedish language settings. I would like to partly change those. I
want Swedish keyboard settings and all the date formats, currency, thousands
separators, decimals and so on to conform to Swedish convention. But in
programs I want all menus, messages, error messages etc in English. Is this
doable, if so how?

Have a look at the locale(7) man page.  It describes macros for use by a
programmer, but each of those macros also corresponds to an environment
variable.  You can accomplish what you describe by settting all the LC_*
variables (or perhaps LC_ALL) to your Swedish locale and then setting
LANG to an English language locale.
Not LC_ALL.  That would override LANG.

export LANG=en_US.utf8          # or en_GB or whatever you prefer
export LC_TIME=sv_SE.utf8
export LC_MONETARY=sv_SE.utf8
export LC_NUMERIC=sv_SE.utf8

You'll have to figure out *where* to do this, and that will depend on
how you login to the system, and also on whether you run some kind of
Desktop Environment that will clobber your environment settings.

Thanks for the help.

That was going to be my next question. I use lightdm to login in to KDE. I was thinking I'd put it in ~/.bashrc for the shell and either ~/.xsessionrc or ~/.dmrc for the desktop environment?