Re: Unable to Access a Foreign Volume Group

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 05:39:20PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Hi Jens,
>
> my first shot would be setting the actual system id to
> 'zaphod1105820973' like described in the lvmsystemid man page. I'm not
> sure, how this uname or lvmlocal work, so I would try setting
> system_id_source to machineid or file.
> First, look if /etc/machine-id matches. If not, put is may be in a /etc/lvm/system-id.

/etc/machine-id is a seemingly random 32 char hex string, bearing no
resemblance to the system ID of vg00.
/etc/lvm/system-id doesn't exist.

The server is explicitly configured with not having a system ID in
/etc/lvm/lvm.conf:

        system_id_source = "none"

> As this alters nothing in the LVM itself, this should not be harmful as a try.

On the one hand, yes. On the other, I am very hesitant to mess with the
server lvm configuration, and potentially having lvm lose access to
vg01, which hosts all of the servers partitions.

I am going to read up more on this topic, and recovery options for the
case of any system ID issues during boot; just to be prepared.
I've not have had ever any trouble with lvm in all the years of using
it ("it just worked"), until now.

The lvmsystemid man page also mentions to use the lvmlocal.conf entry

       local {
           extra_system_ids = [ "my_other_name" ]
       }

instead the command line option; I might give that a try, as it seems
fairly safe.

> Am 13.01.19 um 17:10 schrieb Jens Holzhäuser:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a buster/sid system with two volume groups that have made no
> > issue for years.
>
> [...]
>

> > # lvm systemid
> >   system ID:
> > # vgs -o systemid vg00
> >   Cannot access VG vg00 with system ID zaphod1105820973 with unknown local system ID.
> >   Cannot access VG vg00 with system ID zaphod1105820973 with unknown local system ID.
> > # vgs --foreign -o +systemid
> >   VG   #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize   VFree   System ID
> >   vg00   1   8   0 wz--n- 930.55g  20.00g zaphod1105820973
> >   vg01   1   9   0 wz--n-  <1.50t 534.37g
> > # vgchange --config 'local/extra_system_ids=["zaphod1105820973"]' --systemid "" vg00
> >   Cannot access VG vg00 with system ID zaphod1105820973 with unknown local system ID.
> >   Cannot access VG vg00 with system ID zaphod1105820973 with unknown local system ID.
> >

> > Any help is appreciated to get back acess to the VG, vgchange (and
> > vgexport) seem to be ignoring it despite providing the extra system id.
>

> [...]
>
> > Thanks,
> >

> > 	Jens
>
> Martin