Re: Migrate Stretch to New UEFI Build?

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 8:12 PM Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> wrote:
> Putting grub in a directory other than "EFI/debian" does allow for
> multiple OSs to have their own boot loaders which can be started from
> the UEFI boot menu. (E.g., you could have EFI/stretch, EFI/centos7,
> EFI/sid, etc.) In this case I would still keep the efi partition mounted
> on /boot/efi to reduce long-term confusion. I'd also add new directories
> instead of trying to keep multiple versions of debian from overwriting
> the debian directory.

Do you know how to do this? I've had quite a bit of difficulty just adding new boot entries to EFI, including bizarre results like my newly-added boot entry not appearing after reboot but both PXE entries (IPV4/6) being duplicated. I've been using efibootmgr from within Linux as well as bcfg from the EFI shell.

I've been trying in a VM with both stretch and buster installed (both use the vendor directory "\EFI\debian)" as well as on my new laptop with Ubuntu and Ubuntu Studio installed (both use the vendor directory "\EFI\ubuntu"). I was able to install GRUB to a new EFI directory (e.g. "ubustu" for Ubuntu Studio), but I was left with the impression that there was something hard-coded that was overriding the specification of vendor directory (--bootloader-id in grub-install) when creating the EFI boot entry (e.g. the "ubustu" entry booted Ubuntu, not Ubuntu Studio).

In practice, I suppose it doesn't matter because the most recently installed GRUB will contain menu items to boot both operating systems, but I am relatively new to EFI and want to learn it thoroughly.

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)