Re: /dev/disk/by-id/ in testing

Le 08/01/2019 à 12:51, Johan en Katrien Dewaele a écrit :

Only the location of my boot-disk is identified by "ID" in lilo, seems
it is not possible to do this by UUID in lilo.

I wrote previously in this thread :

This is because the UUID is only part of filesystem metadata and cannot be used to specify a device not containing a filesystem, such as a whole partitioned disk. Whole partitioned disks are not present in /dev/disk/by-{label,uuid}/.

If LILO's boot sector was located in a primary partition boot record (PBR) instead of the disk MBR, you could use the partition's filesystem UUID in lilo.conf. Of course this requires to write a standard boot program in the MBR and set the partition boot flag.

Thinking of switching to grub2 to avoid these problems.

I also wrote previously in this thread :

This issue is not specific to lilo. It would affect grub-pc updates too, because the boot device is specified by device id.

For example on my system :
$ debconf-show grub-pc
(...)
* grub-pc/install_devices: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD1200BEVE-00WZT0_...

The issue would be happen less often - only when updating the grub-pc package instead of on any kernel update - but it would still happen.