Re: /dev/disk/by-id/ in testing

On Sun 06 Jan 2019 at 10:30:26 (+0000), Johan en Katrien Dewaele wrote:
> my weekly upgrade on testing failed yesterday as,  after an initrd.img was generated, lilo could not run successfully.
> After checking my /etc/lilo.conf, where I had my boot disk identified by ID as :
> "boot=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500320AS_9QM6D0TB"
> and comparing it with what is in /dev/disk/by-id I noticed that this identification-id had changed suddeny: see the additional underscores in the names of both harddisks:
> $ ls -alF /dev/disk/by-id/
> […]
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 jan  6 10:32 ata-ST3500320AS____9QM6D0TB -> ../../sdb
> […]
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 jan  6 10:32 ata-WDC_WD10EZRX-00L4HB0____WD-WCC4J1SLKT9F -> ../../sda
> […]

In my mind, the suspects would be either the kernel or udev.
Was either upgraded in your weekly upgrade?

I'm not sure the kernel would be particularly interested in the disks'
serial numbers (the part after the underscores) but it's probably the
easier one to revert temporarily. Not running testing, I don't know
how much dependencies might make reverting udev tricky.

Cheers,
David.