Multiple host names for a single server?

I would like to use a single server for multiple remote services
including mail, bind dns, OpenStreep tiles, etcs., all with different
subdomain names but sharing the same server and IP.  For example:

  mail.example.com
  ns1.example.com
  tiles.example.com

I know I can define them with individual A records (with the same IP)
with my domain host provider, but will that cause problems conflicting
with a single physical hostname of, say, "pluto.example2.net"?

In other words, is the physical hostname of any server of any
importance except for logged in users?

Thanks.

-Tom