Re: Formatting a 32G or 16G SD card?

On Fri, Jan 04, 2019 at 08:05:48PM +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
I disagree. It misleads the reader into believing that the option applies only to magneto-optical disks, while it also applies to fixed disks and, I guess, any other storage device type.

That's good to know: I don't think the original text made this point
clear either.

IMO, the default behaviour does not make sense and the -I option should not even exist ; mkfs.fat should accept to create a filesystem on an entire unpartitioned device of any type by default, just like other mkfs.* do.

Actually I agree with you, this would be a smart change to make. Here's
where an interested party should file the request and/or patch for the
change, fwiw: https://github.com/dosfstools/dosfstools

(I looked this up because I might do it myself)

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland